Thursday, November 10, 2011

Good Grief Santa?

"We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery."
Samuel Smiles




What have I been up to?


I love creating Santa's...




I have been working on a commissioned piece for a gal, and this charming fellow is how she wants him to look.
Well by golly, my first attempt looked like Edgar Allan Poe .... hmmmm??? I had to scrap him.

My second attempt ??? SCRAP!!!!!

Good Grief Santa, Why are you giving me so much trouble???

As my deadline is getting so very near, I pulled myself outta bed at 1:30 am to try, try again before the kiddos wake up.

Hah, the saying "third time is a charm"... I think they are right ! ;)
I'll reveal this charming fellow when I list my next auction pieces, in a day or two ;)

Do you ever have trouble with commission pieces, especially when a customer would like it to look "just like" a picture of something?


Well. I have to say.. though i scrapped my first two attempts, I did thoroughly enjoy sculpting the Santa's and Edgar , lol...

Have a wonderful day :)

7 comments:

maddyrose said...

I can't wait to see your Santa and wouldn't mind seeing the one that looks like Edgar Allan Poe. I never have any problems making whatever look like whatever. LOL!!

AliciaArtShop said...

YES! I always seem to have trouble with commission pieces. I work best if I can get it out of my head that it is a commission and just work that way. I'm excited to see what you've come up with! I need to check out your ebay listings, I haven't been on ebay for a long while. Hope you have a wonderful day ~Alicia♥

sassypackrat said...

Edgar Allen Poe Santa?! Awesome! You may want to finish that one anyway. ;0)
I do like commissions cause they let me stretch my wings a bit. But I do find it hard when what the client wants isn't really my style of work then it's a bit of a struggle.

Georgina said...

Hahaha, love the Edgar Allen Poe rendition of Santa!! You should have kept it, or did you??

I don't have many special orders, but so far, I've been pretty lucky that people have liked my art piece, however, I've heard so many horror stories...oy!

Can't wait to see your Santa!! Have a good one.

xxoo,
Georgina

Zan Asha said...

Actually, I think the Edgar Allen Poe Santa is still viable! Maybe not as a commission piece, but you have enough Halloween Christmas folks that would love it!!

I've been lucky in that the commissions I've had (though few and far between) really don't ask for it to look like a photo. I think that would be too much pressure!

Looking forward to seeing your finished work!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

You know what they say...third time's the charm. I know it will come out great, Diane! :) Just like Santa...I believe!

Cameron said...

No, don't scrap anything...though it may not be what your client wanted....you know the rest of us are up for a Santa with a bit of quirk :)

Can't wait to see!