Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cotton Candy !



Lately, I have been seeing more and more Artists creating lovely little creations from spun cotton. I have fond memories of delight, as I layed my eyes for the first time, upon a magical spun cotton ornament.

This was definitely an art I did not think I would try, as I felt very intimidated by it, and it looked to be very difficult.
Well, never say never! An artist friend mentioned that Martha Stewart had a tutorial on Spun cotton, so i was curious? I visited Martha and look what I learned...
I thought I would show you a pic of my first attempt. Angel wings! Not bad for my first try huh? But NOT a keeper as I don't like the shape or design and it is a bit loose .





Not at all perfect enough for this little Angel..
But she still needs wings, keeping that in mind I knew I needed some practice.. lots more practice :)





Last night, while watching an episode of Burn Notice, I was trying to perfect my skill with the cotton spinning. Above is a pic of a "SWEET WITCH" I have been working on. She is everything sweet, including the COTTON CANDY hair I envision her to have. So, I spun ringlets, after ringlets of cotton... and before long I was making them almost perfect and snug.


Here is a pic of a few of the ringlets. I started the painting process on this batch using, one part acrylic paint, to two parts water.

as you can see from the pics.. practice makes perfect. The ringlets up closer, are a bit loose and uneven, and they get more even and tighter as I made more.
I am excited to see how my "Sweet Witches" new Cotton candy hair do will look!!!
Oh... I think I'm ready to give those Angel wings another try.

I found this form of art to be very, very relaxing .
I have much to learn, but I know I will enjoy every minute of it!
If you would like to go to Martha's tutorial and do some spinning click here to visit.

7 comments:

Gourdqueen said...

Looks like you are having so much fun staying at home creating!
Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see the witch and her locks!
Gourdie

Faerie Moon Creations said...

The witch is looking amazing! Can't wait to see her with her lovely pink cotton locks! Theresa

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

Keep with it. It gets easier as you go!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

There are so many wonderful art forms out there. Don't you love that you are still learning new skills? I can definitely see the improvement from when you began to where you ended up. Excellent job!

Linda said...

Ohhhhh...that looks like it could be fun!! will you teach me?

Sue said...

Diane I too have been giving thought to the use of spun cotton in various creations. And I love the sense of nostalgia that it brings.

Good for you for attempting this. I may yet give it a go. It's fun trying new things isn't it?

Hugs

Diane MacNaughtan * Dianie Mac * said...

Hi everyone,
Thanks for stopping by..
I have been busy practicing.. It is very fun, I think I'm hooked :)
The Sweet Witch is turning out great and I have decided to add a spun cotton deer to stand beside the Angel.
I will share pics when they are complete.
~Diane