Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thriftin'

Alan and I Have a wonderful week to spend with each other. No work, No responsibilities, just spontaneous play! We have been doing all kinds of fun things which include Fishing , creating in the studio and Going to the thrift stores searching for great finds that we can use in our creative endeavors.
Above is a sneak peek of some of the little creations that are coming to life, in the Little Yellow Studio. The first fella you see is a Vampire. When complete he will holding a coffin that will serve as a container to fill full of candy, for Halloween guests. The armature of this character is a plain wooden carving of a man. I suspect it was at one time a mass produced trinket for a tourist gift shoppe. I thought it would make a great armature for a Halloween creation. Behind Mr. Vampire is a sculpture I am working on for an upcoming Challenge. For this particular piece I have used two gourds. They both have a little ways to go before their completion, but this week all I have is time.....

On our recent trip to the thrift store, I came across these great finds. You may be be thinking to yourself - HMMmmmmmmm? But let me show you my idea !

I am in need of some Garden Decor and since I am frugal, eccentric and picky, I thought .. I would create a few of my own Garden decor designs.
Keeping in mind that I have not yet painted, glued or accessorized it up. This may give you an idea of what I am up to, with my thrifty finds. A magical garden statue ! All for about $3 and a pinch of imagination and an ounce of fun creative time.
I will be sure to post a pic when it is complete.

8 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

You are so creative. I would have never thought of that. As a matter of fact I bought a cute basket at the DI last week and I don't know what to do with it.

Sue said...

Don't you just love thrifing? I'm always on the lookout for fabrics, trims and doo-dads that I can use with my work. It is amazing how versatile candle holders can be!

Hugs,

Sue

Brenda LaBell said...

OM Gosh Diane, I love the WIPs and I can't wait to see that Garden Statue when it's finished!! Yummy thrift finds!1

Brenda

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh, I LOVE your new work!!! Can't wait to see them completed. :) Glad the creative muse has hit you full-force. I just love thrifting. Last week I actually found two wonderful wood frames for only $1.50!!! :) I was a happy girl! Take care!!! Theresa

Debby said...

Beautiful goodies, sounds like you had a great time.
debby

Linda said...

OOOOO...great finds Dianie!!

Love you~

Linda

Diane MacNaughtan * Dianie Mac * said...

Thanks ladies! I love thriftin' I kinda put it on hold for awhile because I had so much stuff, i feared I was becoming a hoarder.lol..
I started working on the garden art yesterday, I hope to have it finished today :)

~Diane

~Tonya said...

So very creative, Diane. I think that is awesome, you and Alan spending such quality time together. Very had to come by now days. Everyone get pulled in so many different directions.

Love the finds, the way you used them and can't wait to see your new pieces done.

Have a great day.
~Tonya