Our little Angel Granddaughter was due to arrive on Christmas day. However, She was letting everyone know that she wanted to be born before Christmas day. Her Mamma went into labor over the weekend with contractions just one minute apart but was not dilating. My daughter has had many complications throughout the pregnancy putting her in the category of high risk. Wouldn't you know it, her Doctor was on vacation over the weekend and the Dr. on call was very familiar with my daughters high risk problems and hesitant. He did not want to take the baby by Cesarean unless she or the baby was in danger or, if she dilated to a three. He Wanted to wait for her Dr. to get back on Monday if at all possible. Over a painful weekend, Manda made it to Monday. we saw her Dr. first thing and he scheduled her with a specialist for an amniocentesis on Thursday this was to see if the babies lungs were developed.
Well guess what? They couldn't do the test as she hardly had any amniotic fluid. They ultrasound the baby's heart for a very long time because one of the reasons for minimal amniotic fluid is a heart condition. Everything looked good with her heart. He could not check her lungs but he said she could not survive without the fluid so he called the Dr. and she was scheduled for a c-section the next morning, which is today.
Rylee was born at 1:30 this afternoon weighing 4lbs. 13ounces. They rushed her in to the med room where there was a window for for us to view her. She struggled to breathe, her little ribs looking as if they were going to cave in, as all the Dr.s, respiratory specialist and nurses were quickly working on her, I had a melt down and had to leave. I never in my life have seen such a tiny little thing fight so hard to breathe, to live... and bless her heart.. after a little time on oxygen her breathing became stronger.. then her sugar dropped dangerously low and they hooked her up to IVs to maintain her sugar level. She will have to have this for a few days because her sugar level wont sustain on its own. and just moments ago, my daughter called to tell me that she now has an infection. They are running more labs to determine what kind of infection. At this point they have tried to do the best they can at our hospital and they have been exceptional, but there is and has been the possibility of transporting her to a neonatal intensive care unit in a neighboring city.
This picture is of Rylee at about 3:00 pm after they stabilized her breathing.
Finally, they were able to take her mamma into the medical room so she could hold her. She is the cutest, tiniest little thing and a strong little soul. The next couple of days might be a rough go, but I have great faith and hope that she will pull through just fine..