Saturday, August 29, 2009


Geez... My eyeballs open and I roll over to look at the clock, it's 1:00 a.m. I thought I had better try to go back to sleep as I have to be to work at 6:oo a.m. No such luck as so many feelings and thoughts of my daughter are running through my head. My daughter, Amanda has been very, very ill. She is pregnant with her second child (which we recently found out is a little girl). Her first pregnancy was rough as she already had multiple and complicated female problems.
Her Dr. encouraged her to have one more child before he gave her a total hysterectomy. He did not feel her second pregnancy would be as painful and complicated as the first.
Boy was he ever FREAKING WRONG! And, I am very PISSED!!! But who am i to be so upset? I am only the Mother who has to watch her baby suffer in the most excruciating pain 24 hours a day and they say it may even get worse... she has 17 weeks left.. She is in and out of the hospital 3 doctor's and recently a 4th working with her.. but, they are feeling a bit helpless as well. They have spent hours consulting with each other and researching her condition and a plan for the pain as they know that it would be the cruelest of cruel to let her live in this agony for 17 more weeks. However, they have to be so very careful as the little life inside her could be damaged from the pain medications.
I guess I haven't really explained what it is she is suffering from. several weeks ago Amanda's bladder started to not function. With further testing it revealed Hydronephrosis in her Kidneys. This is a fairly common thing to see in a pregnant woman but it is usually very mild and goes away very quickly sometimes without notice. As for Amanda, her hydronephrosis was severe. Her right Kidney was completely blocked. Although surgery was a great risk for the unborn child, it had to be done. without the surgery Amanda's Kidney would rupture leaving irreversible damage and in some cases death. The surgery was performed last Sunday morning. The Urologist said it was really bad, he drained the kidney and placed a stint in the tube that leads from to the kidney. He had to leave the stint in as her Kidney was under so much pressure and taking it out would would lead to Kidney failure. The surgery went well however, one of the complications was going into early labor. which she did and has been ever since. they are giving her medication 24/7 to stop the labor but it only helps for a few hours . The contractions are hard and painful and not to mention the excruciating pain from her kidneys. They give her as much pain medication as they can without putting the baby in danger but it still doesn't cut the pain. If you have ever had a kidney stone then you can know her pain and this is relentless, it doesn't let up and to know that she will have to endure that pain for many, many weeks just breaks my heart.
My mom and sister-in-law have been wonderful helping out with Kasen (He is now two and he just cant run a muk! lol..). When Amanda is home from the hospital she is on complete bed rest. I have been staying with Amanda on my days off of work and my mom and sister-in-law have have been there when I am at work. My Son-in-law has been wonderful as well. Although he would like to stay home and take care of her, he is the bread winner, so he goes to work then takes over the care of Amanda and Kasen when he gets home.
I am praying that everything will be okay with both the my daughter and the baby. I get mixed emotions everyday about this pregnancy, but then I look at my grandson Kasen and the little miracle that he is and I know that Amanda's pain will all be forgotten when she holds that little girl in her arms.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Well Dianie... I sat here and cried my eyes out reading this. It's been very difficult for me to watch Amanda go through this and I'm just the Auntie. I can only imagine what it is like for you.

I Love you and your family more than I could EVER say. I pray for Amanda and that baby daily. I wish I could do more to help out and I hope you all know that you can call on me for anything! For now I am sending as much LIGHT and LOVE to you and your family as I possibly can!

I love you
~Linda

sheila said...

I can appreciate how difficult this is for all of you. My prayers to you and your family.

Georgina said...

Oh my, please know you and yours are in my prayers. My daughter gave birth to her 4th child earlier this month and it was also a very difficult pregnancy. Sammy was in the NICU for a few days and sent home and now he's in great shape as she is. She didn't have anything like your daughter, but as a mother, I know how horrible it is to see your child in pain.

Sonia ;) said...

Dianie....

My heart goes out her, the baby,and the family..My prayers are with yall. I wish I could do more...Hugs sweetie xoxo

Skeleton In My Closet said...

Dianie, this is heartbreaking news. Is this caused by the pregnancy or is it a fluke that it flared up at the same time?

Sending prayers and well wishes to you and your daughter.

Josie

Diane MacNaughtan said...

Awww Linda, You know I cry my eyeballs out too when I cant be strong anymore. Thanks for always being there and thanks so much for staying at the hospital with Amanda the other day when I was at work.
Love you,
~Diane

Sheila,
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.
~Diane

Georgina,
Thank you for your kind words and thank goodness your daughter and little Sammy are ok. The NICU's are so wonderful and advanced. We have a good one fairly close to our home.

~Diane

Sonia,
you are a sweetheart :) Thank you for your prayers and kind words.

~Diane

Josie,
What a good question? Hydronephrosis is quite common in pregnancy but generally it is mild and goes away very quickly. The dr.s that are working with her have not seen a case this severe. She also has other female problems and this was to be the last baby before they give her a hysterectomy. There is a good chance that the damage will be permanent to her kidney, however at this time the other kidney has not been affected.

~Diane

Doran & Jody said...

Oh smack! So sorry this is happening. I hope everything works out for the good. I can't imagine watching you child go through something like this. Good luck to all of you.

Prayers coming your way!!

Light and Shadow Studio said...

Oh Diane, I feel your pain so acutely. I have also worried over my daughter the last 8 months as she has suffered through a difficult pregnancy. I know how helpless you feel when your child suffers and you would gladly take her place but can't. She finally delivered 4 weeks early a few days ago when her liver started to fail. Luckily both are fine and I am praying that your Daughter and her baby will also be. My daughter was also sick the whole time and now two days later she tells me it is all worth it. I am sending my love and prayers your way too. Hang in there, you are a caring loving Mom and she couldn't need anything more important than that. Tammy

merelyadream said...

Diane,
I am so sorry this is happening. My prayers are going out to all of you. You are a very good Mommy and I know how hard this is, when it is your own baby girl there.
Sending love and healing her way.
Blessings,
Cat