Monday, October 20, 2008

Candy Containers ~WIP~

I have always adored the old vintage German paper mache' candy containers. This Christmas, nearly 99.9% Of the gifts my husband and I will be giving, will be handmade with lots of love, sweat and tears (JUST KIDDING about the sweat and tears!)
I thought I would try my hand at some candy containers inspired by the vintage German collectibles. Except with a Dianie Mac Flair !!!! Please forgive some of these "not so good pic's" as I am a photographer IN TRAINING! My Honey Pot, Mr.Mac is the pic taker. However, he is very busy in his shop creating another magnificent flute. ( I didn't want to BUG him on my whim to do a WIP;)). These two little characters you see above, are not quite finished as they are drying. The one on the left is a ghost ( he will be painted tomorrow, I CANT WAIT) and the other ,without the head will be a snowman! The ghost when finished, will go on e-bay for adoption.
How it all began: Well... with my grandsons empty juice bottles ,washed and sterilized of course. And, some Styrofoam balls.


I took the lids off the bottles and placed a fairly large piece of plastic wrap over the bottle . then, I replaced the lid. This gives me a line between the body and the head which would be the opening. I cut a styrofoam ball in half and glued it to the top of the lid, serving as an armature.


My preference of clays for this particular project is Ave's Clay Shay for the body. It is a very durable clay. For the head, I use Apoxie Sculpt for extra, extra durability. I want them to be durable enough to be used by children.


I pull the wrap up over the lid with a twist tye. I then sculpt the body. after it has dried thoroughly, I pull the wrap down over the body as seen in the third pic (above). Then I sculpt the head that also serves as the lid. when fully cured, the piece will be ready to paint and embellish. Stay tuned for the finished piece and auction link.

4 comments:

Designs by CK said...

Handmade is the BEST!!!

Looking forward to seeing the completed pieces!

Have a great day/week Diane.

Chris :-)

Doreen said...

What a great idea..these are wonderful. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Blessings,
Doreen

Diane MacNaughtan said...

Ck, I agree, I love handmade gifts!
Have a wonderful evening:)

~Diane

Doreen, I am so glad you stopped by!
Please do stop back, I hope to have the finished pieces up on the blog by thursday.
~Diane

LisaLectura*creations said...

Hi Diane! Fabulous candy containers! Thanks for sharing your WIP! Can't wait to see them done!

Creative Blessings,
Lisa